Good to know
Here, you can find the answers to frequently asked questions on the topics of “General / Installation” and “Use / Calculation”.
General / Installation
System requirements for the current version of MDESIGN 2020 (Build 200416):
System (server, clients):
- - Windows-compatible PC
- - screen resolution of min. 1366 x 768 pixels
- - Hard drive capacity: application server or local = max. 2.05 GB; client = max. 10 MB.
- - Operating system: Windows 10, 8.1,Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012 R2, 64-Bit-systems
- - Internet Explorer from version 11
- - PDF reader for the PDF format documentation
- - The lmgrd.exe and TEDATA.exe services must be defined as exceptions
- - The port number 28060 and the selected port e.g. 28090 must be enabled
Operating Operating environments such as Citrix, virtual machines, etc. may have limited functionality depending on the Windows compatibility.
Systems such as UNIX may be used as “share” for the application server.
The system administrator must take care to ensure that the appropriate directories are enabled and used as share, and that the MDESIGN files from the client can be addressed.
MDESIGN also works fully if the Windows operating system is running on a virtual machine. However, the prerequisite for this is that the virtualization corresponds 1:1 to the Windows system.
MDESIGN 2020 is a new, stand-alone version of the MDESIGN calculation software. MDESIGN 2020 can be installed in parallel with all other previous versions of MDESIGN. Earlier versions do not need to be uninstalled.
Older files can also be used in newer MDESIGN versions with the help of a converter. Please contact us if you need the converter.
The HostID assistant in MDESIGN 2020 is only available if MDESIGN was started via the context menu: Right mouse click on your MDESIGN button, then choose "Run as administrator".
The licenses can only be generated if the complete HostID file has been submitted to us in the correct format. Please follow the instructions below to generate the HostID file:
- Start MDESIGN from the context menu with "Run as administrator".
- Start the HostID assistant in MDESIGN via “?” and “HostID assistant” in the menu bar.
- Complete the fields (incl. your customer number).
- Save this data as HostID file in a directory of your choice.
- Then send the saved HOSTID file directly to email@example.com as an email attachment.
- After successful authorisation, you will be sent the license files by email within two working days.
- After putting the license files into the appropriate folder (see handbook) and restarting the computer, MDESIGN is activated and all licensed calculation modules can be used.
Note: If you use a license server, the HostID assistant (HostIDsAssistent.exe) can be found in the folder C:\Programs (x86)\FLEXlm\MDESIGN.
The error message indicates that the user is lacking permissions.
For client server installation of MDESIGN 2020, it is necessary for any number of clients to have read permissions for the entire MDESIGN directory "C:\Programme (x86)\MDESIGN" and write permissions for the "C:\ProgramData\MDESIGN\MDESIGN explorer 18\Common Files" directory.
For client server installation of MDESIGN 2018, it is necessary for any number of clients to have read permissions for the entire MDESIGN directory "C:\Programme (x86)\MDESIGN" and write permissions for the "C:\ProgramData\MDESIGN\MDESIGN explorer 17\Common Files" directory.
For client server installation of MDESIGN 2016, it is necessary for any number of clients to have read permissions for the entire MDESIGN directory "C:\Programme (x86)\MDESIGN" and write permissions for the "C:\Programme (x86)\MDESIGN\MDESIGN explorer 2016\Common files" directory.
MDESIGN only offers a FLEXlm installation if no existing FLEXlm installation for MDESIGN is found by the system. FLEXlm is either installed during the MDESIGN installation or a separate FLEXlm installation is offered. The FLEXlm installation is not offered if any of the following points apply: - There is a valid FLEXlm key “HKLM/Software/FLEXlm License Manager/MDESIGN License Manager” with the correct values (see MDESIGN user manual Appendix 1) in the Windows registration. The path for FLEXlm may differ depending on the system. - There is a “FLEXlm\MDESIGN” folder on your system which contains at least the two service files “lmgrd.exe” and “tedata.exe”.
If the basic MDESIGN installation was correctly performed, please restart the “MDESIGN License Manager” service. This can be found under “Control panel” / “Administration” / “Services”. You can restart the “MDESIGN License Manager” in the “All tasks” section in the context menu, accessed by right-clicking on the service. Alternatively, you can use the “mdstart.exe” tool for this. This can be downloaded from http://softweb.de/Download/mdstart.exe. Executing (double-click) the “mdstart.exe” file automatically restarts the “MDESIGN License Manager” service. If you are still unable to use MDESIGN, please send us the support info from your computer. Start MDESIGN from the context menu with Run as administrator. You can find the button on the far right in the quick access toolbar upon start-up.
The user databases are saved in the “Common Files” folder. In a standard installation, the path is: C:\ProgramData\MDESIGN\MDESIGN explorer 18\Common files. The user databases “db18user.mdb”, “db18userlocal.mdb”, dbdc18user.mdb” and “dbespresso18user.mdb” can be backed up and pasted in again after an update here.
In order to provide you with new license files, we need the completed license transfer form from you. This can be informally requested via our hotline (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please then send us the completed license transfer form by fax (+49 234 30703-69) or by email (email@example.com). We also require the HostID for the new server or computer, which you can send us separately by email. You will then receive the new license files by email. Note: The purchase of MDESIGN student edition includes a single use license, an update must be purchased for relicensing or license transfer.
Several times a year we offer our service customers a new build with improvements and new features for the current MDESIGN version (current version: MDESIGN 2018). This new build can be downloaded from the customer support forum.
Before the release of this build, you can download single improvements and new features out of MDESIGN as a module update. Note: Only available for MDESIGN customers with a running service contract.
The update function can be found in the menu bar under "Help" - "Available Updates".
If you have checked "Search for updates on the program start" and "Always inform me about the new versions of the modules" in the MDESIGN options, you will always receive an update notification when using the modules and an update is available.
For details, refer to the manual.
MDESIGN saves its settings in the "ProgramData" folder. This ensures that all user accounts of a PC can access the files or settings.
The databases for MDESIGN are integrated in the folder "C:\ProgramData\MDESIGN\MDESIGN explorer 18\Common Files".
The MDESIGN software includes a licensing system from Flexera. Among other things, the device name of the computer or server is used for the licensing. The currently used Flexera version works with standards that do not include encoding for special characters and mutated vowels. To avoid errors during the installation and licensing of MDESIGN, therefore, special characters and mutated vowels should not be used in the device name.
The error message indicates that the registration of the 3D assistant failed during the MDESIGN client installation. This is often caused by the client not having access to the MDESIGN folder on the server.
To reinstall the 3D assistant, please perform the following steps:
1. Log in to the client as an administrator or domain administrator.
2. Make sure that you have an existing connection to the server and to the MDESIGN folder.
3. Modify the “Register.bat” file (located at: \Server\MDESIGN\MDESIGN multibolt 2020\ Register.bat) as follows:
- Line 1: "Path to regasm.exe" /register "Path to mdmultibolt3d.dll" /tlb /codebase (The path name "Path to mdmultibolt3d.dll" should contain the specification of the server or the IP address: \Servername\MDESIGN\MDESIGN multibolt 2020\mdmultibolt3d.dll).
- Line 2: pause
4. Save your changes.
5. Run the file "as administrator".
6. On successful execution, the windows console should display the following message:
"Assembly exported to '\\Servername\MDESIGN\MDESIGN multibolt 2020\mdmultibolt3d.tlb', and the type library was registered successfully".
Use / Calculation
The result diagrams are displayed in the graphical aids window. Various diagrams for the display can be selected in the pull-down menu for the window. The result diagrams can also be used in the documentation.
Bolts can be selected from the MDESIGN database or from the user database in the “Tables and databases” section, machine elements, connections, VDI 2230 bolt dimensions. You can make your own entries under the “In-house specifications” point and save them in the user database.
The load H means the sum of the main loads, including permanent loads and the live load, for example. The loading condition HZ describes the sum of the main and additional loads. Additional loads are loads which may be caused by heat or wind, for example, or which only occasionally act on the bolt connection.
The module for shaft calculation is based on DIN 743. This DIN standard only includes a specific set of materials. Additional materials cannot be selected for shaft calculation because they are not considered in the standard.
Multibolt calculation is exclusively used for the calculation of the stability of a multibolt connection against a torque at the periphery of the bolt connection. All other loads must be reduced to the individual bolts so that the bolts can be calculated as individual bolt connections.
Determination of the required minimum screw-in depth is not dependent on the load on the bolt. The standard calculates the minimum screw-in depth under the assumption that the bolt connection fails not through shearing of the thread but rather through tearing out of the bolt in the event of overloading. This means that the shear strength of the thread must always be higher than the tensile strength of the bolt. If the strength class of the bolt is increased, therefore, the shear strength of the thread and thus the screw-in depth must also increase.
DIN 743, which forms the basis for shaft calculation, works exclusively with the alternating stress values for the materials. No fatigue strength values can therefore be entered even for a purely dynamic load. The fatigue strength values of the material will of course be taken into account for the dynamic load.
The The torque is the bending moment on the bolt. In accordance with VDI, only one bending moment is permitted. If there are multiple bending moments, these must be vectorially added.
The minimum clamping force FKA at the lifting limit for the two connected parts is calculated because there is a risk of gaping at an operating torque of MB > 0. This force ensures that the connecting surfaces of the two connected parts lie securely against one another even with an operating torque of MB > 0. The sealing surface is required for calculation of the FKA force.
There are 3 different material databases in which values can be entered. All 3 tables are contained within db18user, but wherever possible they should NOT be directly modified there.
The following material databases are available:
- "Material properties" in the MDESIGN technology library (the materials for all modules with use materials in accordance with FKM (not for bolt calculation and shaft calculation) are contained here)
- "Shaft calculation material database” (all materials for shaft calculation are contained here, please note that you cannot use your own materials for shaft calculation in the “Basic shaft calculation” module (in the MDESIGN mechanical library), your own materials in the “Shaft calculation material database” material database can only be used in the MDESIGN shaft library.)
- "VDI 2230 material database” (materials which are available for bolt calculation (both in the MDESIGN bolt library and in the “Basic bolt calculation” module (in the MDESIGN mechanical library) are contained here).
Various databases are available because different material parameters are required for different calculations.